Week 40
Wow, I can't believe I have gotten this far and haven't addressed money. Fights over money and finances are one of, if not THE biggest factor in the war on marriage. How much we make, save, and spend are usually hot button issues.
When Whitney and I took a financial class together early in our marriage (Financial Peace), it was pretty helpful. It is difficult to follow all of the aspects of the class, but nobody said it would be easy. Our lives have fallen away from those good habits. That probably explains why money often becomes a hot button. Whitney and I have very different personalities as it relates to money. That sets up for the occasional clash.
The best advice I can give in terms of money is to talk often about it - what are your plans for a budget? How to pay off debt? Priority of saving versus spending? If things ever hit the fan, I highly recommend doing a financial class together so you can be on the same page, no matter what your personality is.
As I said, most marriages that fall apart do so because of financial reasons. Try to nip that in the bud before it starts by being on the same page. If you aren't on the same page, do whatever you can to make that happen.
When Whitney and I took a financial class together early in our marriage (Financial Peace), it was pretty helpful. It is difficult to follow all of the aspects of the class, but nobody said it would be easy. Our lives have fallen away from those good habits. That probably explains why money often becomes a hot button. Whitney and I have very different personalities as it relates to money. That sets up for the occasional clash.
The best advice I can give in terms of money is to talk often about it - what are your plans for a budget? How to pay off debt? Priority of saving versus spending? If things ever hit the fan, I highly recommend doing a financial class together so you can be on the same page, no matter what your personality is.
As I said, most marriages that fall apart do so because of financial reasons. Try to nip that in the bud before it starts by being on the same page. If you aren't on the same page, do whatever you can to make that happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment