Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Hero


Week 12


"Let me be your hero..."

     - Enrique Iglesias

Alright, a flashback to 2001. Our high school days. No smart phones. No Facebook. But we did have great things like Napster and TRL. And of course, Enrique Iglesias and "Hero." The idea of the song is great. The concept in the music video is not exactly what I have in mind when it comes to being a hero.

A hero has all kinds of definitions in our culture. We have super heroes, guitar heroes, NBC's Heroes (and Heroes Reborn), and even Mr. Hero. Sometimes the term is thrown around too loosely. Other times it isn't used enough. There are many heroes in this world. One person I want to be a hero for is my wife. 

John Elderidge (author of Love and War, a book I referenced in earlier entry) wrote a book called Wild at Heart. In this book, he believes men are defined by three main passions. One of those is the desire to have a "beauty to rescue." 

“Deep in his heart, every man longs for a battle to
 
fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue.” 
-  John Elderidge, Wild at Heart

This is why Wil wants to be a knight and "rescue" the princess. This is why young men dare to save a damsel in disstress. This is why TV shows and movies create plots where a man will stop at nothing to rescue and protect the love of his life. But it isn't enough just to "do" the hero things once in a while. We need to "be" the hero...each and every day.

When Whitney is having a difficult moment or day...she needs a hero to come alongside her. Sometimes I just give her a hug when she needs it. A shoulder to cry on. An ear to listen to. A prayer to offer. I haven't ever had to "save" Whitney from any kind of physical danger, but I know if the moment came I would be ready. 

A hero sacrifices himself for others. A hero loves fearlessly. A hero does the right thing no matter the cost. A hero is an ordinary individual with extraordinary love and dedication. 

A hero prays for his wife. A hero takes the fall to help his wife save face. A hero lets his wife know that she is desired and loved. A hero will do whatever it takes to preserve the love between himself and his wife.

Be her hero. 



It is easy to fall in love

It takes work to plan a wedding

It takes a lifetime to build a marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment