Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Love Language


Week 13


A few years ago, Whitney and I read a book as part of a parent book study called The Five Love Languages for Children. There are many variations of the original book, The Five Love Languages (geared at marriages), written by Gary Chapman. I have never read the original, but some of the same components are in the book we read. The purpose of these books is to understand how people give and receive love in different languages.

The main five love languages (according to Champan) are gifts, quality time, words of affirmation, physical touch, and acts of service. Chapman believes all people have a primary love language, although many people are strong in multiple languages. 


The Five Love Languages.jpgAs this relates to marriage, it is important to know and understand the primary way your spouse receives love. Because we understand ourselves more than anybody else, we are most tempted to give the kind of love that we prefer to receive. Our spouse probably won't have the same love language as us, so giving what we prefer won't be received as well as other kinds of love. 

Whitney's love language is words of affirmation...thankfully it isn't gifts (I'm too cheap to marry that kind of wife). Her love tank is most full when I build her up with words, notes, texts, etc. On the other end, I bring her down most when I neglect to do that...or worse, when I use my words to tear her down. Whitney does appreciate other languages of love, but it is important that 

For me, quality time and acts of service are at the top (I know, I was only supposed to pick one). So Whitney knows she fills my love tank best when she does something for me...makes dinner, gets me a treat, cleans up, etc. These kinds of actions show me that I am important and that she loves me. 

Spend some time to know and cultivate Lindsy's love language. And if you haven't done so yet, make sure she knows what your love language is. Then neither of you are wasting time, energy, money, etc. trying to show the other person love in a way that isn't so important to them.



It is easy to fall in love

It takes work to plan a wedding

It takes a lifetime to build a marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment