Week 30
People like to celebrate (or not celebrate) their birthdays in all kinds of ways. Considering we are right in between you and Lindsy's birthday, now is a good time to write about how birthdays can matter in a marriage.
My birthday comes at a strange time with it being a romantic holiday. I like people recognizing my birthday in some way, but I don't need presents (aside from Chipotle gift cards) or anything. Having a special dinner with family is a nice touch. But what I like for my birthday is not necessarily how Whitney likes celebrating. In her family, birthdays are a BIG deal. So I have to put forth some extra effort to make sure I can help that continue in her life. What I like on my birthday is not the same thing she cares about on hers.
The best way to celebrate your spouse's birthday is by doing the obvious: making them happy. Don't try to do for them what makes you happy on your birthday. This ties back in to the love languages idea. You are two different people. Does she want a card? A big present? Flowers? Date night? Hanging out with friends/family? A quiet night at home? Whatever it is - make it happen. Make it special.
My birthday comes at a strange time with it being a romantic holiday. I like people recognizing my birthday in some way, but I don't need presents (aside from Chipotle gift cards) or anything. Having a special dinner with family is a nice touch. But what I like for my birthday is not necessarily how Whitney likes celebrating. In her family, birthdays are a BIG deal. So I have to put forth some extra effort to make sure I can help that continue in her life. What I like on my birthday is not the same thing she cares about on hers.
The best way to celebrate your spouse's birthday is by doing the obvious: making them happy. Don't try to do for them what makes you happy on your birthday. This ties back in to the love languages idea. You are two different people. Does she want a card? A big present? Flowers? Date night? Hanging out with friends/family? A quiet night at home? Whatever it is - make it happen. Make it special.
No comments:
Post a Comment