Week 32
Whatever you do - Don't push the button!!
I am a button pusher. Always have been, always will be. It started when I was young. Cory's temper had so many buttons, it was just so easy to push them.
I wouldn't say I was a big button pusher with everybody, but certain people made it very tempting. Even as a dad, I know how to push buttons. I will do it on occasion. Wil has some big buttons and they are easy to push. I know, bad dad. But I'm here to talk about being a husband.
I learned early on that Whitney was not someone who liked to be teased - especially in public. Poking fun at the expense of Whitney really tears her down. I guess nobody really "enjoys" being teased, but some have thicker skin than others. Some just like any attention. Not Whitney. In order to make/keep her happy, I have learned to use self control - especially in public. When it is just the two of us, I do tease her once in a while. But in that setting, it isn't a huge deal.
She has her angry buttons. I know how to make her go from a little mad to very angry. I have to respect and love her enough to don't push that button!
And then there are buttons that make Whitney cry. I am guilty of pushing that button (very intentionally) a couple of months ago. I know it was wrong. I knew she would cry when she said it (although I knew it would be an overreaction, and in her normal state of mind - Whitney would agree it was an overreaction too). Thankfully, I don't really push that button more than a few times in our marriage.
So whatever you do - don't push the button!
I am a button pusher. Always have been, always will be. It started when I was young. Cory's temper had so many buttons, it was just so easy to push them.
I wouldn't say I was a big button pusher with everybody, but certain people made it very tempting. Even as a dad, I know how to push buttons. I will do it on occasion. Wil has some big buttons and they are easy to push. I know, bad dad. But I'm here to talk about being a husband.
I learned early on that Whitney was not someone who liked to be teased - especially in public. Poking fun at the expense of Whitney really tears her down. I guess nobody really "enjoys" being teased, but some have thicker skin than others. Some just like any attention. Not Whitney. In order to make/keep her happy, I have learned to use self control - especially in public. When it is just the two of us, I do tease her once in a while. But in that setting, it isn't a huge deal.
She has her angry buttons. I know how to make her go from a little mad to very angry. I have to respect and love her enough to don't push that button!
And then there are buttons that make Whitney cry. I am guilty of pushing that button (very intentionally) a couple of months ago. I know it was wrong. I knew she would cry when she said it (although I knew it would be an overreaction, and in her normal state of mind - Whitney would agree it was an overreaction too). Thankfully, I don't really push that button more than a few times in our marriage.
So whatever you do - don't push the button!
No comments:
Post a Comment