Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Dreams

Week 15


"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

     - Elanor Roosevelt


The last post was all about sacrifice. Unless the dream jeopardizes the marriage, a husband and wife should never have to sacrifice their dream for one another. When we have God-given dreams, it is the duty of a spouse to help support their significant other's dream. 

I have achieved my dream job(s) (teacher and coach) while also knowing I have a calling in ministry. Whitney was a great support to me in all of these areas. At times, it has required (and still does) time away from her and the family. Her support has helped me achieve my dreams. 

Whitney has a few big dreams in life. One she has definitely reached - and that is being a full-time mom. That requires some sacrifice (financially) on our family, but it is well worth it. Another goal/dream involves personal health and fitness. I haven't always been the best supporter with that since I am not interested in joining her on that journey. A third is a career as a doula (birth coach). And a fourth is to be involved in missions. In her teenage years, Whitney felt a calling to be involved in international missions. I haven't been the most supportive in here dreams. She needs my support in all kinds of ways. 

One way I can support her is with my words. Encouraging her and trying to help her stay motivated in her goals is a great way to show I care about the things she cares about. My support can also be some level of sacrifice - time or money. It takes time and money to achieve our dreams. If I hold that back from her (which I sometimes do), I am sending a message to Whitney that what I want is more important than her dreams. 

Be mindful of your own dreams as well as Lindsy's. Do your best to support her in those dreams...even if it costs you something. Don't give up on your dreams and don't forget to encourage Lindsy in hers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment